Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Peas & Thank You

"Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature, is a help. Gardening is an instrument of grace." -May Sarton (May 3, 1912 – July 16, 1995)

I arrived in Stratford like a bullet train, headed as fast as possible towards whatever the Festival City had to offer. I explored each little shop and alley, and made mental notes of the places I would go back to. Revel Caffe, with its shining beacon of motorcycle coolness in the window, was a haven of fresh smells and tantalizing conversation. It was in this wonderful place that I met Heather.

How happy I was to meet someone as determined, deliberate, dedicated, and kind as she was, her arms and mind held open to people and their ideas. I've never seen a sliver of malice or questioned her intentions. She seems to only be motivated by good, common good. She explained that she had just returned to Stratford after some time away and was having a meeting about urban gardening that I should attend.

Riding on a wave of inspiration and lacking any other outlet, I made promises of starting a backyard composting network, of being a garden manager, and of starting a food co-op. A lack of enthusiasm for new projects has never been my problem.

Life had other plans for me. I knew nothing about business and nobody in town. I didn't have a backyard to compost in and had been hearing stories about my friends own failed project, unlivable wages and no time for anything else. I dropped my earthy projects and went to work in an office.

The co-op spun ahead without me, though I lent a hand painting chalkboards and scrubbing shelves. What had seemed to me an unreasonable timeline had nearly been met and before I could say "big carrot" the place was in business. Before my own eyes, the co-op had grown from an idea into a shop whose business model was not based on the bottom line, but on sustainability, accessibility, and accountability. Another piece of the puzzle was in place.

I eat fresh and local every day. Between the co-op and the markets, everything is available nearby. I don’t need a vehicle. I buy in smaller amounts, waste less, and cook more. I have become increasingly connected to a network of people who share the same values that I do.

The co-op is an oasis that I go to when my eyes tire of backlit screens and fluorescent lighting. Their kind staff humor me when I tell rambling stories, swear too much, or can’t decide what to have for dinner. They always have the strangely coloured green spinach wrap for my tofu-bean burrito, and never fail to put adequate amounts of cheese and sour cream on it. Their meatballs are made from whey fed pork and are cheaper than the Sysco lunch served down the street.

Supporting Your Local Market Co-op feels good: When Drea tells me there will be strawberries on Saturday and I get there in time to pick up the last pint; when I go to the Slow Food market and Loco Fields is out of shelling peas but has just dropped some off at the Co-op; when I run into Rebecca dropping off her aprons and bags, I feel good. I feel good knowing that I’m supporting local producers and building community, and I feel good when I eat fresh, healthy, and sustainable food.

Thanks to all of you: Chris, Katelyn, Heather, Drea, and all of the co-op’s employees and supporters. Together, we are building something truly good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment